Milwaukee Irish Fest Youth and Children's Choir Choral Director Position Available
Title: Choral Director
Date Posted: 1/9/2019
Region: Southeast Wisconsin
Summary: Milwaukee Irish Festival, part of CelticMKE, is now accepting applications for a part-time Choral Director to lead the organization's children's choir (ages 7 to 13) and youth choir (ages 14 to 20) as it expands the vision and mission of CelticMKE and Milwaukee Irish Fest during the 2019 choir season and beyond.
- Hold and conduct auditions to recruit new members, as well as assign vocal parts and solos
- Lead all choir rehearsals and performances
- Select repertoire, which may include composing choral arrangements
- Assist in planning tours and choral camp activities
- Collaborate with a planning committee to ensure a fun, safe environment for choir members to learn about Celtic music, culture and heritage
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Music (choral/music education preferred) or equivalent experience
- Must display ability to inspire, lead, and sustain interest of choir members
- Must be an enthusiastic individual who enjoys working with kids and youth
- Must be able and willing to collaborate with adult representatives of CelticMKE
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about Celtic music, culture and heritage highly desired
How to Apply:
Questions and/or application materials may be directed to Erin O'Connell, the Choir Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a resume and cover letter to be considered. The deadline is February 1, 2019.
About the Choir:
The Milwaukee Irish Fest Choir was founded in 1988 by Pat Moschea and Ed Ward as an opportunity for young people to be involved in the rich tradition of Irish Music. The young adults involved in the Choir, ages 14-20, perform traditional Irish choral music at venues and events throughout the year. In 2014, we began a new Children's Choir, featuring children ages 7-13. Over the years, more than 1,500 young adults have been part of the Choir. They have entertained audiences at the National Cathedral in Washington D.C., St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York and Old St. Mary's in Philidelphia. They have toured throughout Ireland, including performances with the Omagh Community Youth Choir and at Our Lady of Knock. They also toured Ireland in 2012. Directing this year's Choir is Brian McLinden with accompanist Leah Will.
The Children's Choir meets on Mondays from 5:45-6:45pm, May through August. The Irish Fest Choir meets twice a week, on Mondays from 7-8:30pm and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30pm, May through August.
The Milwaukee Irish Fest Choir holds auditions each year during the winter months to build member participation. The end result is an incredibly talented group of youth that are passionate about music and learning the Irish heritage. The official choir season typically begins in May with rehearsals and culminates with a weekend full of performing at the annual Milwaukee Irish Fest held in August each year. During the summer months, members build bonds that far outreach mere summer memories, but rather can shape their lives through valuable experiences